Monday, December 10, 2007

Day Three

Again, we woke up fairly early in order to get our free breakfast buffet: my staple: garlic rice with fried egg and pork products. First aikido class began at 9:00 so after breakfast Rocky and I showered (not together of course) got into our gis and hakama (aikido pants) and proceeded down to the training room. Yamada sensei, shihan (master instructor) from NY was quite pleased to see us there. Training went well. Class was about three and a half hours giving me time to wash up and so I can look decent upon meeting Jay’s Mother. I spoke to jay afterward who told me his sister was also joining us. I did not know she was also coming and began to panic because I did not get her a gift. Jay said the best thing was to buy her a bottle of booze because she is a drunk. I met her in the states before and she can out drink all of us combined. Digressing a bit, she spent the night at my place and we all had about 3 bottles of wine (except Jay). She (and I) still were in the mood to have more booze so I grabbed a bottle of hard liquor. I asked if she wanted a mix and she said no, she can just have the bottle….and she did. I think she finished half of it. Yikes! So with this I ran down to the lobby to see if I could buy a bottle somewhere in the hotel. I was to meet them at 1:45. it was 1:15 so I had time. There was no place in the hotel to buy anything but I was directed to go to the mall across the street. I disobeyed our instructions not to leave the hotel and ran across the street to buy some booze. (FYI: there was HS tennis convention in the Hotel and I witnessed 16 year old blond girls roaming in the hood, unsure why we were restricted….anyway as I was running in the parking lot I heard my named called and there, sitting in a van smoking, was Lyle, jay’s sister, and his Mother, also smoking. They were early. I greeted them and gave his mother a big hug. She was fabulous!!!! There was an immediate feeling of family and conformability. Her physicality could have been Jewish or Italian for the exception of her accent. I explained why I was running in the mall and Lyle said it was not necessary. I had to run back into the room in order to get his mother her gift. I came back, gave his mother the gift, but she did not open it yet but it was clear it was wise to have something for her. Jay’s mother had definite bling on her. Not too much but enough to see it was the real deal. We proceeded to drive around town. They wanted to show me places I already toured the day before so we ended up walking along a park on the bay then moved to a coffee shop. They love to smoke. It seems any chance they got cigs were lit. After the coffee, smokes, and a few pics, they wanted to take me to lunch and asked what type of vfood I would like. I suggested Filipino since that’s where I’m at. We were in a strip mall on the bay so we walked to a nearby Filipino restaurant. They were under the impression I was a picky eater, thanks to Jay. That’s because I will not eat balut or fish eyeballs. They ordered for me and again the food was fantastic. We ordered grilled squid qhich was as big as a cuttle fish, sisig (what looked like ground pork), and a pork shank soup, oh, and of course, rice. The sisig was the best. Turns out sisig is pig head ground up tossed with some crispy pork skin. It was so good I ate it later at another restaurant. We just laughed all day and talked about Jay. I really felt like I was with my second family. Jay’s mother did not seem like a mother in the way you picture my mother. She is young, in her mid 50’s. she was like a buddy too and that is how she wanted me to feel. I can’t wait to take her to The Baton Show lounge. Both were encouraging me to stay an extra day so they can show me more of The Philippines. I knew that would be impossible since I was going to be exhausted after the seminar but I told them I would keep it in mind. With that said we decided to again do something together Sunday during the day were I had more free time. The hours flew by and I had to return to the Hotel to get ready for the reception dinner hosted by the aikido organization. Driving back Jay’s mom opened her gift and I could tell I did well. We kissed and hugged and said our goodbyes. All that stress for nothing.

After cleaning up again, I changed for the dinner where we were entertained to the National Filipino Folk Troup. Amazing. They sang and danced for an hour after hour dinner. During the end they grabbed me and a couple of other people to learn their folk stick dance; Tini-Kling. Basically it is like jump roping but instead of rope, they have long sticks laid along the floor snapping back and forth as one tries to tap their feet between them. I master it. LOL Until my glasses slipped off my face.

After the entertainment Rocky was pretty tired. I was feeling good. Rocky decided to go to the room and call it a night. I was in a party mood so I went to the atrium for another drink. No one was around in the lobby to drink with. Chicago aikidoists are the true partiers of the aikido world organization for the exception of the Japanese and what I will soon know, the Malaysians. I asked a waiter if they knew where Big Papas was. This was the bar jay went to when he was here last year. It is a strip bar where you can order your male GRO (guest relations officer). The waiter got together with other staff members to help me find a place. Apparently Big paps is no longer but they suggested mr. Valentines which was fairly close by. I asked if I should take a cab but they suggested that the hotel car take me and it will pick me up whenever I want. So I went into the car, paid 250 peso for the roundtrip ride, and ended up in front of Mr. Valentines in about ten minutes. As the car pulled up I gave strict instructions to the driver to be back in an hour. He gave me his cell just in case. As I exited the car, a guy came up to me grabbed my arm and escorted me in explaining the rules of the establishment. It went by so quickly, especially since I was already loaded but what I picked up basically was that my drinks cost a certain amount but if I decide to have a GRO, his drinks will cost another amount. I was escorted into a big booth with a nice view of dancers. Once my drink ordered arrived, the escort, or should I say pimp, asked what type of guy do I like. I was put back by this and feeling a bit shy. I know that does not sound like me but I think I was just overwhelmed. I said I like a guy in nice shape so he went to the end of the room where I saw all these guys sitting in three rows of bleacher like seats. He grabbed two WELL built guys and brought them to me and said which one I like. I was speechless at first. I wanted both but I had some guilt flowing in me. I said he needs to hold off for a bit. I ordered another drink. (I can’t believe I remember all this.) He came back and asked me again. This time I said someone twink-like and he brought back Jun. I said OK. Jun joined me and we started chatting. He was now my geisha for the evening. We chatted a lot, more like me blabbling about aikido and other crap. I ended up ordering him two drinks. We moved to a more private booth where supposedly more things could happen in a more private space. I was feeling a bit randy at this time but knew I could not act upon anything and I also got the impression if I did it was not allowed because security was walking back and forth with tiny pin point flashlights. My escort came up to me later and said my ride had arrived. Thank God!!! I got my bill which came to over 3000 pesos. I had no idea what that was because peso where monopoly money to me at that time. It turned out it was just over $70. Man Jun’s drinks were expensive. After telling Jay this he said I could have had my way with the GRO. That is probably why I made sure my driver returned within the hour. I left Mr. Valentines, returned to the hotel, tipped the driver well for his promptness and went to sleep only to wake up early again for more aikido training.

Day four…Lots of aikido, great food and Air Force One hookers.

No comments: